Sunday, 27 February 2011

Kensington Bear Fair 2011

Well today I have been at the Kensington Bear fair in London, my mum is a regular attendee since I introduced her to the world of artist bears many years ago. Now that I've stopped collecting bears myself I haven't been for a couple of years, but as the teddy bear supplies shops are the only place I seem to be able to buy the ultra suede I use to make my keyrings I thought it would be nice to go along and stock up while I was there.


The fair was busy as always and is spread over 3 floors, Rita of Woodland Teddies had kindly offered to feature some of my mum's bears on her stall. So she has been working hard all week to get them finished so they would be ready.


This was a very proud moment for my mum, the first time her bears have been available to buy at a teddy bear fair. The mohair for these bears was hand dyed by Rita of Woodland Teddies so it seemed appropriate that these ones were showcased.


You can find more information about my mum's bears at www.lottielollipopbears.co.uk So with the bears in place it was off to explore the fair, my dad went and sat on the balcony with his book, (his usual position) I have a sneaky suspicion it was also so he could see the reaction to mum's bears from the fair goers. I photographed some of the bears and animals that really stood out for me, they are as follows:



This little fella really stood out as he was so unusual, available on an exclusive basis from www.sillybears.co.uk


I loved this display from Jody Battaglia in particular the whale toy on wheels.


Apologies for the slightly blurry picture, but I loved the style of these bears by Kreft Bears


There was a set of four of these little mohair birdies, by Little Hugs by Susan Gam, amazingly Susan remembered be buying a bear from her many years ago, I was sorely tempted to take this little buy home with me, but resisted the temptation...for now at least :)


This amazing sculpture is the work of artist Shelly Allison from The Rabbit Maker




This artist Katie Rae Bears blew me away. The bears were so detailed and I loved the style they even had gemstones pressed into their noses, some of them even featured real diamonds!

So mum and I had a great day at the fair :) Her bears didn't sell this time but they did get lots of hugs :)


And I also picked up an old back issue of 'Stuffed' magazine about softies and plushies which I was really happy with. I love craft magazines! Especially import ones :)

4 comments:

  1. What a day! I never knew there was so much to teddy bears; fascinating insight with loads of great photos! I just love that mohair birdie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you and your mum are both so talented, thats great!

    I'm so glad you started a blog, its been great getting to know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun! Your mom has fabulous bears! I tweeted about one earlier so I hope it brings some new folks her way.

    I had a collection of steiff club mini bears, but artist ones would be better. They have more character.

    I just subscribed to you blog to keep up with what's going on across the pond by you. :)

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kim, my Mum will be thrilled :) Hope you enjoy reading my posts.

    ReplyDelete